Sunday, July 30, 2006

"I came over here because I wanted to kill people"

Over a mess-tent dinner of turkey cutlets, the bony-faced 21-year-old private from West Texas looked right at me as he talked about killing Iraqis with casual indifference. It was February, and we were at his small patrol base about 20 miles south of Baghdad. "The truth is, it wasn't all I thought it was cracked up to be. I mean, I thought killing somebody would be this life-changing experience. And then I did it, and I was like, 'All right, whatever.' "

He shrugged.

"I shot a guy who wouldn't stop when we were out at a traffic checkpoint and it was like nothing," he went on. "Over here, killing people is like squashing an ant. I mean, you kill somebody and it's like 'All right, let's go get some pizza.' "

1 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

Just read the same article today in our Daily Yomiuri here in Japan. It sent shivers down my spine...

btw, great blog, I will surley check it out more often!

6:54 AM, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home