Sunday, May 21, 2006

Why I'm glad I live in Slovenia: Reason #3595

Because I can enjoy what the country offers without having to pay (at a minimum) $3595 for the privilege. And that's not including airfare, which the tour agency says runs from $1000-1200 round trip. Who the hell can afford this kind of trip? And where is the money going? If my math is correct, that works out to about $300 per night.

Although prices have been going up in recent years, Slovenia is still a relatively inexpensive corner of Europe to travel in. A couple of weeks ago I paid about $25 per person (plus 4 euros for each dog) for a room and half board at a farm tourism place in Selca, near Škofja Loka. At Christmas I really splurged and paid an extravagant $60 per person (plus 10 euros for a dog) per day for half board and a good-sized room with a balcony and view of the sea in a classy hotel in Portorož. The cost included free access to the thermal pool complex and a discounted rate for the 12-room sauna complex.

From where I live, the places mentioned in this itinerary are a few hours and half a tank of gas distant at most. How extraordinarily lucky I am.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I'm coming to visit you!

9:51 PM, May 28, 2006  
Blogger Jean said...

Be my guest! Literally! (Just give me a little advance warning so I can clean out the guest cottage.)

10:05 AM, May 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home